WHAT IS ZIRCONIA CROWN?
Zirconia crowns provide successful and healthy solutions for patients who want to have crowns but cannot decide because of aesthetic concerns. Made of zirconia metal, zirconia crowns are compatible with oral tissue and structure of teeth.
Thanks to zirconia’s durable structure best treatment results are achieved. Instead of gray metal used in conventional crowns and bridges, zirconia is white. They can be used for advanced discoloration of teeth, when orthodontic treatment is not preferred, teeth with major loss of structure, anterior and posterior teeth, implant-supported restorations and to achieve smile esthetics. There is a need for zirconia restorations when there is a problem with the functioning of teeth. They are not only supportive but also durable.
HOW IS IT MADE?
To achieve successful results with zirconia restorations, dentists create a thorough treatment plan.
- First, a general exam is made by the dentist.
- Then an impression is taken and models are created.
- The impression plays a big role in the calculations for standardization.
- A wax-up of the teeth on the model that is created from the impression is made.
- Model is then transferred to computer and arrangements are made on software.
- After the software process is done, it is transferred to a zirconium oxide block to have the final shape for the infrastructure of the tooth.
- Zirconia undergoes sintering in a furnace and porcelain compatible with the zirconia color is placed on zirconia infrastructure and shaped.
ADVANTAGES OF ZIRCONIA RESTORATIONS
Different than metal supported restorations, zirconia restorations are transparent to light. There is no dark metal reflection on the gums. Thanks to this transparency, zirconia restorations provide a very natural look and very close appearance to original tooth structure. Besides esthetic benefits zirconia restorations are very compatible with gingival tissue which makes it healthier than metal supported restorations. Zirconia restorations are a very special kind of treatment thanks to its advantages. It has a very biocompatible structure which provides;
- Best level of gingival health
- Natural looking bright teeth
- Better functional qualities
- Prevention of sensitivity
- Low fracture rate
- Compatibility to oral tissue
- Solution to discoloration problems of teeth.
HYGIENE OF ZIRCONIA RESTORATIONS
Instructions of the dentist must be followed. After getting back to daily life shortly after treatment, the patient must continue with regular oral hygiene routine. This ensures long-lasting restorations.
AFTER ZIRCONIA RESTORATION TREATMENT
Tissue compatibility is achieved in a short amount of time after treatment. It has a very high success rate in the long haul. Patients are back to their daily routine 1-2 days after the treatment.